View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 22:44   #6
jimh
Inactive

jimh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Creating a second web site within Virgin Media webspace

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried lumping both sites together, giving one index page a different name and uploading it.
I just tried it again using index.htm for the second site but it doesn't work. When I try to open the second site it takes me to Net Benefit where the Domain Name is registered!

This is what Virginmedia support told me.........

When uploading your website you upload it to a 'root' directory. Should you wish to have a second site hosted on the same PWP space you would need to create a new directory and upload the files to that directory within the FTP.

To access the second site you would use 'http://your.website.address/2ndsite'

Where 'your.website.address' is the current web address you use and the '2ndsite' is the name of the directory you created to store the files.

The trouble is I don't really understand it. Is my website address the address of my first site and if so do I put the whole of the url in there?
Likewise what is the name of the directory I created to store the files? The files are uploaded to upload.ntlworld.com and the name I have for them is time-to-drive taken from the full address www.time-to-drive.co.uk how much of that do I put in. I have tried lots of combinations but there must be something I'm not doing right.
Or are they saying that to access the site from your browser you must enter the first sites url with the second sites name on the end of it?

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Thanks Ikthius I can see you know what your doing but I shall have to think about the code a bit.
If I can't sort it soon I'll try FileZilla. I've got nothing to lose if it's free
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote