View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 18:33   #8
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: Recording a Phone Call

Actually there's nothing saying you can't record a phone call, you only have to notify the other party if you intend to use it for anything other than personal reference. If you were to try to use it's content in court or for other people to hear then yes, you have to tell them, but if you only intend to use it for the purpose of reviewing it later to remind yourself what was said then there's no legal limitation.

From Ofcom
Quote:
Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted.

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.
They also provide a link to the home office site regarding RIPA.

As to how to go about it - digital recorder or some other recorder hooked up to the phone via something like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-way-teleph...recorder-24724
or
http://www.maplin.co.uk/play-and-rec...-adaptor-30352
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote