View Single Post
Old 29-12-2015, 09:28   #465
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I agree with most of Horizon's post. Just two points, though.

There is no reason why live events such as football and new series cannot be watched from a given start time, so everyone can watch at the same time. The difference will be that if you are late turning on or you want to see it the next day, the next week or whenever, it will still be there. No more need to record things.

My second point is that I believe that the BBC, Netflix and Amazon will still exist in 30 years' time, although it is possible that Netflix could be taken over, of course. I doubt that would happen to Amazon as it is simply massive, but I don't rule it out altogether. I just don't see a scenario in which this may happen.

The BBC could survive as a linear broadcast channel, but it will be driven harder to cut costs as it relies more on subscriptions when the licence fee is phased out. So although, without commercials, people may be more inclined to watch BBC channels as now, it will simply be too costly an option to maintain, with all the other terrestrials having died off.

A lot will happen in the future and one cannot be precise, but I think Horizon and I are not far off beam. I will come back to this post in 20 years' time if I'm still alive and sane by then!

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think some channels fail on the exact bit OB

I think you will find things like announcements and add insertion is automated, often using pre-recordings for announcements. I always remember years ago when the Hallmark pre-recorded announcements got out of sync and the wrong shows were being announced.
I think Sky still do this, but someone has to do the voice overs and programmes still have to be scheduled by people.

I certainly agree with you about the accuracy of advertised start times, although it is quite deliberate that for example Coronation Street will start sometimes at 7.28 or 7.33, even though the advertised start time is 7.30. They do this for a variety of reasons which will be known in advance by the channel, but it all works out neatly so that a particular programme starts on time later in the evening.

Most will have noticed that except where a live event is extended, the BBC's 10 o'clock News always starts on time, despite the end of Eastenders being cut off from recording earlier in the evening because it overran by three minutes!

Not that I watch Eastenders, of course, but I hear my wife from the kitchen sometimes when that happens!

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My viewing habits while l am still here on gods earth will still considerably involve linear TV and linear TV will still be here when many others things will have gone the way of the dodo despite what some forum doomsayers say.
Well, you will only be able to do that if nothing changes in the meantime, Den.

I've still not heard any convincing thoughts on your side of the argument as to how all these broadcast linear channels will be funded as most of the audience drifts away to a more efficient means of viewing.

You can bury your head in the sand, but that won't stop progress from happening. The trend is already there big time in the US, and we will see the same happening here before too long.

Time will prove me right on this, I have no doubt.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote