View Single Post
Old 27-12-2015, 19:43   #454
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm not saying, and I don't know if Old Boy said it either, that linear TV will end, but the evidence that he has provided shows that peoples viewing habits are definitely changing!
He introduced that very idea here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35755307-post63.html

and expanded on it at length over the following weeks.

I don't disagree that viewing habits are changing. The way people have consumed information and entertainment has changed with every new invention since the alphabet. However, we cannot even discuss the complete abolition of linear TV until there is a clear roadmap to universal broadband availability of at least 24Mbps, uncapped and guaranteed 24 hours a day, to every single home in the UK. Right now, we have neither the data infrastructure to deliver it, nor the electricity generating capacity to run it, nor any plans as to how it should be done.

Broadcast TV works because it is simple and economical and it just works, for millions of people at a time. It is going nowhere, within the lifetime of anyone in this discussion.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote