Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Keeping your pc healthy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Keeping your computer healthy

During my day-to-day work I see a lots of computers. In my second job at a computer store I often see systems that are running very very slowly. In nine out of 10 cases this is down to maintenance of the pc. No one that owns a car would dream of driving 300.000 miles in there car without changing the oil and tyres ect. People do this with there computers all the time. The following step-by-step guide has been written as a schedule for users to follow. Your pc will run more smoothly and more reliably by taking the steps bellow.

1. Treat installing software on a pc as a serious matter. Even if you remove unwanted software from the pc using †œ add/remove programs †œ ect you will still leave old unused files and registry keys in the system. If you are going to uninstall the software then donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t install it in the first place.

2. Make sure that all the hardware in the system has the correct drivers installed. ! marks or ? marks in the device manager indicate that a driver is missing or has a problem.

3. Visit windows update on a weekly basis to check for new drivers/patches. You can allso set windows so it checks automaticaly. Post for details of how to do this.

4. Make sure you have an up to date Antivirus package on your pc. Virusââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s can slow a pc down to crawl. Not to mention cause damage to your files. Scan your system for viruses on a weekly basis.

5. Keep spyware out of the system. There are several free spyware removal tools on the net that will help you do this. A good spyware scanner is Adaware †“ found at www.lavasoft.de . It is best to stop the spyware getting on the pc in the first place. A program called spyware blaster can help you do this. Spyware blaster can be downloaded from www.spywareblaster.org This nifty app will help stop the spyware getting on the system in the first place.

6. Keep your hard drive healthy by running scandisk on a weekly basis. Scandisk can be found in †œ Start menu / program files / accessories / system tools / scandisk †œ Scandisk will check your pc for hard disk errors and correct them. This makes file corruptions ect less likely.

7. Defrag your hard disk on a weekly basis. The defrag program operates by rearranging the files on the hard disk so that they are in order and tidy. This will speed up the system as well as making file corruptions less likely. Defrag can be found in †œ start menu / program files / system tools / defrag †œ You may find that defrag restarts all the time. This can happen with windows 95/98/me a lot and is down to all the memory being used up and the system writing to the swap file. To get round this shut down the pc and then restart it. As soon as you turn the pc on press and hold CTRL on the pcââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s keyboard. You will be presented with a menu just before the windows loading screen appears. Select safe mode from the menu and wait for windows to load. Be patient it can sometimes take a while. When you are in windows all the icons and your wallpaper may look strange. Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t worry about this †“ Everything will return to normal when you reboot the screen after defrag has finished. When you run defrag for the first time you may find that it takes may hours. This is normal especially if it has never been run before.

8. Install a good firewall in the pc and make sure that it is configured correctly (post for help) - Thanks to Paulyoung666 for this amendment.

9.Make sure that you delete all the temporary internet files and all the files from your windows temp directory before you defrag the drive. To remove temporary internet files from the pc click on " tools / internet options and then the delete files button " To delete the system temp files look for a folder in windows or winnt called temp. Delete the contents. (make sure that any open programs are shut down first) Many thanks to sociable for this sugestion.

Follow this list on a weekly basis to ensure that your pc is happy and healthy. You will see a big increase in system performance. Make a time during the week to do this. The more regularly you run the above the less time that it will take for the job to be done.

If you have any questions or queries please donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t hesitate to post them †“ We will be happy to lend a hand.
For point numer 9. If i was to empty the temp folder, would this affect all the user accounts i have on XP or will it just affect mine? i Also have a prob with Spyware blaster. See screenshot.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote