View Single Post
Old 16-02-2017, 09:43   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

I went to view a new build property last night and was pleasantly surprised to see it had been cabled for Virgin Media.

What I didn't expect (And was an even more pleasant surprise) was that the bedrooms and living room all had Ethernet sockets in them, with a Virgin Media logo on a (otherwise empty) plate next to them.

Am I right in thinking this is possibly FTTP?

(Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures at the time).

Now, to my understanding, Virgin uses RFoG so the end point equipment is the same - same Superhub, same TiVo box - somewhere the fibre gets converted into a coaxial output. What I'm having trouble grasping is how this works with Ethernet sockets?

I couldn't spot an omnibox anywhere. There might have been a coaxial wall plate in the Living room but I didn't get a good look, nor could I find any kind of patch panel for the Ethernet sockets (I didn't get to look in all of the cupboards, though).

I'm guessing this is fairly standard for new builds, but I can't find any information on it - what should I expect? A Cupboard somewhere with a bunch of coax dangling and a patch panel? Or is there like a shed somewhere in the street passing straight up Ethernet to the houses? (I'm not sure how I'd feel about that and I don't see how that would work with TiVo).

Anyone got anything like this?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote