View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 08:00   #44
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins

Well it looks like things didn't escalate over night which is a very good thing.

@ Pip - I didn't say you wanted Catalonia wanted to be another Zimbabwe, I askedif you thought the Catalans would want it to be . I'm still confused as to their reasoning for all of this given that I still can't see how they can hope to come out of this financially better off than they've gone into it. Of course they may value their independence from Spain more highly than that. IIRC they want to remain part of the EU but I'm sure the Spanish would have something to say about that and I believe they'd have to start the process from scratch so that could take many years.

I can't see how their leaders can seriously claim this 'result' is valid given all the uncertainty caused by the police intervention in matters which is no doubt why Madrid chose to do it. I still think they should have just let them get on with it then challenged the legality through whatever courts would ultimately decide and such matters. Both sides seem to be playing a very dangerous game but nobody I've heard thus far seems to be supportive of the way in which Madrid has responded and the Prime Minister's comments that the police acted with 'calm' are frankly laughable unless the Spanish govt. has an entirely different interpretation of the word.

Anyway, if they've acted with this level of aggression to try to prevent the vote God only knows what they'll do if a declaration of independence is made? Will they try to arrest the Catalan leaders?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote