View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 16:51   #32
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins

The legality of the right to have this vote is disputed by both sides so where does that leave things? If the people there decide they want out of Spain and it's legal for them to do that then that's up to them. I couldn't care less just like I don't care what they think about Brexit which plenty of Eurocrats and national PM's/foreign ministers have had their say about despite not interfering in the affairs of a member state. If it's deemed illegal then they clearly don't have that right even though they might desperately want it and keep on trying to challenge or change the law until they get what they want. Beating up these people isn't the way to resolve any of this, IMHO in fact it makes the likelihood of what Madrid fears worse. God only knows what's going to happen when night falls. I can see fatalities, including police, if they don't exercise some restraint. Somebody needs to get on the phone to Madrid and get them to stop this.

Just seen, on Sky News, images of a middle aged guy hit with a baton from behind whilst standing with his hands in the air doing nothing! These people aren't violent thugs, from what I've seen they're not even armed or retaliating. The trouble is there will be those who'll seek reprisals for all of this and they'll probably include some who want to incite trouble for very different reasons.

According to Sky News the Spanish government is now claiming their response is proportional yet none of the reports I've seen have mentioned anything other than the fact those on the streets have been peaceful and unarmed. Apparently the police drafted in have been using rubber bullets which are illegal in Catalonia. Maybe that law doesn't matter either though...

Interesting to hear on Sky that the Labour and Lib-Dem leaders are now demanding the PM and Foreign Secretary to 'intervene' in the affairs of another EU state when it's such bad form to do so apparently. According to John Craig, Cable wants Spain's ambassador called in and told it's completely unacceptable and Corbyn wants May to 'intervene to end the violence and find a political solution'...

Last edited by Osem; 01-10-2017 at 17:27.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote