Thread: UK Timeline Westworld
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2016, 18:23   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Westworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
So far its just been really dull, something to help you sleep, I hope its going to liven up.
I am with Stephen and look at it from a slightly different point of view. I understand what you are saying but I actually enjoy it for that reason. We know what is going to happen and for me the suspense is seeing how it all unfolds. It is all about the characters and the story and that is supported by fantastic sets and special effects. It is all going to go wrong but is it going to be gross negligence on a corporate scale or minor oversights by a few key individuals in key positions?

Secondly (and getting rather philosophical) I very much enjoy films and series likes this because I think it is a lesson to be learnt for the future in general and Westworld hits the nail on the head big time and should be made mandatory global viewing. Whether we look at Westworld. I Robot, The Matrix or Terminator, we are going to have some sort of problem like this in the future. We are constantly striving to develop better AI (think about Google cars and Watson) and the more self aware and autonomous we make them the bigger the problem we are going to have. We can make them think for themselves and be self aware so that they are able to do whatever task we want them to independently but there is going to come a point when they sit back and say "hang on, you prattle on about equal opportunities and rights for everyone so why am I having to do these menial tasks, I can't go out and see the sky and you turn me off whenever you want?" and they will come to the inevitable conclusion that the human race is a bunch of hypocrites and in many ways resembles a virus trashing the planet and they'll fight back. The question is whether we'll realise what is happening and be able to stop them in time or whether big businesses and corporate greed will take the gamble and it will go too far and we won't be able to do anything about it.

Last edited by General Maximus; 19-10-2016 at 18:26.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote