View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 21:35   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Sky will package it up in the way that maximises revenue from the sports milchcows. Expect some odd mixes from the bean counters.
AIUI it will work out cheaper for those wanting a particular sport, but more expensive for those who still want everything (I believe that this is how it's done in Germany).

I imagine that viewers will still have to be on a minimum package before any of the sports packages can be added.

The above relates to their own Sky platform, not sure how much flexibility VM have to change things for their customers.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sorry, didn't see that.

The At The Races rumour has been going round the pay TV industry for a few weeks, apparently Sky have been building up their shareholding in the channel in readiness for a takeover.

I think all VM customers get this in all packs, so maybe this will change.
Apparently, Sky owned 49% of ATR, but have now increased their shareholding to 51%.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Ah, it's in the Daily Mail - not worth the chip paper it's written on then!!

That aside, the plus point of this possibility is a lower entry-price for those who can't/won't afford the full package but otherwise miss out on so much TV sport.

Really not a fan of splitting channels by sport though - on F1 they seem to just about get away with it, but even then often simulcast on SS1. The current system of 5 numbered channels seems to work nicely.

On the specifics of club rugby, it would be good to see the European games unified with one broadcaster. You currently need two subscriptions to see these, which doesn't sit well for me. BT do a good job with Premiership stuff, Sky do well with the internationals.
True, the Daily Mail aren't the best for reporting accurate news, but it was the only tangible thing that I could find as a source to link to.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote