View Single Post
Old 15-03-2012, 19:56   #72
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Which is why we need to explore alternatives, like wave pawer, tidal power, geothermal, etc...

Do you know how much of the UK could be made uninhabitable by a disaster at one of our nuclear power stations? Where would the population from that area go??
Indeed we do need to explore alternatives i agree ,but we need new sources of power generation now not in 20-30 yrs or more .Actually we needed it 20 yrs ago but the governments of the time didn't see the urgency .Serious research should have been done on tidal ,wind ,solar, etc long before now and maybe then we wouldn't be stuck with a half developed technology that cannot generate our power requirements and we wouldn't be faced with the risk vs reward choice we now face with nuclear power.I agree that a accident on the scale of chernobyl would be catastrophic for the UK but ,because of our shortsightedness we have have i feel left ourselves with no other choice .