View Single Post
Old 17-03-2015, 13:43   #178
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
All that Apple is doing is allowing people to watch linear TV on their tablets and mobile phones. This positively benefits live channels.
It looks like an online streaming service but it doesn't make clear whether or not advertisements are included. The fact that it is accessed by subscription indicates to me that advertisements are not included, but I will see if more information about this service becomes available.

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

I have followed this up and I think I now understand what is proposed.

This report from the Mail website from July 2013 (reproduced in part below) indicates a possible means of reprieve for the linear TV channels.

If broadcast channels are compensated for revenue lost by the streaming companies, this might be the lifeline they need.

However, you have to wonder whether this arrangement would survive the test of time if most people watched their TV through streaming services. Why would these streaming companies wish to continue with such an arrangement when a minority watch the linear channels in the conventional way?

Still, a rosier picture than I thought possible before I read this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...rs-finger.html

Apple's new TV set 'will have NO adverts and could be controlled by remote control ring worn on a viewer's finger'
Apple said to be in talks with broadcasters about an advert-free TV model
Adverts could be skipped at the press of a button on recorded shows
Rumours also suggest the 60-inch screen could be controlled by a ring

By VICTORIA WOOLLASTON

PUBLISHED: 17:13, 17 July 2013 | UPDATED: 08:09, 18 July 2013

Apple is said to be looking at ways to remove adverts from its rumoured TV set in a bid to boost sales if and when the device launches later this year.

The company has reportedly spoken with broadcasters about the deal and is even thought to have offered to compensate them for any revenue they lose as a result.

Other rumours claim the TV set could be controlled using a ring worn on a viewer's finger.

Apple already offers TV shows and films through its Apple TV box, but the company is also rumoured to be working on a TV set with a 60-inch screen that could potentially let viewers skip adverts on recorded shows

Apple already offers TV shows and films through its Apple TV box, but the company is also rumoured to be working on a TV set with a 60-inch screen that could potentially let viewers skip adverts on recorded shows.

U.S media is reporting that Apple wants viewers of its TV set to be able to skip through all adverts at the press of a single button when watching on-demand shows.

It would be a slight difference to the current model seen on set-top boxes, such as Virgin's TiVo, that lets users fast-forward though advertising on recorded programs.

However, sources claim the service would not be used with live television.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote