View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 15:43   #170
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm not sure that stands up to scrutiny. The BBC puts out a lot of original drama and comedy and, much as I dislike soap operas of all kinds, even I have to admit that 30 minutes of Eastenders most weeknights hardly qualifies as "mostly" what's on the BBC night after night. And which reality shows did you have in mind? IIRC the only show currently on the BBC that qualifies for that category is the daft zombie apocalypse gameshow currently running on Three.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

Tony Hall is expected to announc today that the BBC accepts the days of the licence fee are numbered, and things must change. There is therefore now a new thread specifically for comments about the BBC and its funding, available here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22...cence-fee.html

Please make comments about the licence fee in the new thread, and not here, as it will save me having to move or delete them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The BBC still do decent dramas (I like The Musketeers and Doctor Who for instance).. I don't think they do any decent sitcoms, but, tbh, I don't think any UK channel are doing decent sitcoms at the moment.

Regarding your statement about getting soap and reality night after night, the BBC don't actually have an reality shows (apart from The Voice and that zombie thing) on at the moment. Even looking at tonight's line up for BBC one, we have the National News, followed by the local news, then Inside Out (an investigative journalism program), then Eastenders. After EE, we have Panorama, followed by Crimewatch then the national and local news again. In fact, ignoring EE, the first non-factual programme on BBC one tonight is Waterloo Road, which starts at 5 to 11.

On BBC Two, we have mostly quiz programmes, apart from Top Gear, A Cook Abroad and Lets play darts for comic relief.
We can all pick and choose a particular day or schedule to advance our arguments. But I don't think what anyone could argue against is that across the main broadcast channels (as talk specifically on the BBC has been prohibited) the schedules are dominated by soaps, chefs, antiques, following the police/ambulance/council workers etc which are all reality type shows, quizes, house buying/makeover and many other kinds of reality shows.

I happen to like quizzes, I used to like soaps, I dislike the chefs and antiques (which are also reality-ish shows), but quite like many of the other type reality shows on. I am not against these shows, I am against the quantity of them on especially on the five main channels that have a legal remit to show a variety of programmes suitable for as wider audience as possible.

A broadcaster is meant to be just that - broad, something for everyone but their evening schedules on most days (again, we can all pick and choose a particular timeframe to advance our arguments) are saturated with these shows at the expense of decent dramas and comedies with should be the backbone of an evening schedule.

On Netflix at 9pm, or 9.03pm, or 10.02pm, I can watch a decent drama and at the exact time I want to. I am not saying linear tv will die off completely, but it will diminish and in the case of both funding methods of the five main channels, their existence will come under ever increasing pressure.

And by the way, I don't think Netflix will survive another ten years, but that's a whole different thing altogether!