View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 13:19   #169
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
....but the BBC has a massive income and what do we get night after night on its tv channels, soap and reality mostly. There used to be decent sitcoms and dramas on the beeb, but not anymore and yet the BBC still complain about the amount of money they receive.

What Netflix has shown is that if you can make the right show and distribute it as widely as possible, you can make money. And as I said earlier in the thread, one possible future may be a p2p solution for the funding of high quality tv shows centred around the writers and creators who make the stuff.

I will NEVER go back to aimlessly watching linear channels night after night unless there is a decent and broad selection of shows to watch.
I agree with your last two paragraphs.

I do think that when the linear channels are eventually withdrawn, we will be paying for the BBC on a subscription basis (which will be rather less than the existing licence fee) and instead of buying in programmes from abroad, the library of programmes will all be from the BBC's own productions. Money will be saved from not buying in programmes from elsewhere and not having to maintain all those TV channels.

Whether the BBC has a joint platform with the likes of ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 remains to be seen, but it would make economic sense.

Although it looks as if we have a huge number of channels available to us via broadcast TV, it must be borne in mind that the majority of programmes are repeats, with not a great deal of original material.

In future, I believe that we will have a vast choice of previously broadcast material at our fingertips, plus the new stuff. How much that will cost, I don't know, but the competition between providers should bring the price down. If it costs £6.99 per month per provider (as is currently the case with Netflix), this would give us quite a good choice and will probably save pay tv subscribers quite a lot of money as we won't be paying for unwanted bundled channels.

Those who cannot afford to pay much should be able to get access to the current terrestrial channels at no extra cost (but by subscription rather than the licence fee).
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote