View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 17:18   #63
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Local elections 2012

Ignitionnet

Quote:
The granny tax is emotive nonsense banged on about by newspapers as pensioners are about the only people who sill buy them. Pensioners are not the poorest group in the population and taking wealth into account are a very long way from being the poorest group. If they desire to hoard that wealth to pass on to their family that is their prerogative, however this doesn't mean they should be taxed on income at a lower rate than the rest of us.
The somewhat modest increase in the tax allowance called the age allowance has and was historically applied to represent an allowance for the fact that the vast majority of pensioners who actually get enough to pay tax are locked on fixed incomes.

Even that tax allowance is reduced on a pro rata basis for any pensioner earning or receiving over £25,400 p.a. so that if any pensioner was fortunate enough to receive the heady levels of income that you purport to receive, they would have long since seen any advantage offered to those, much worse off vanish.

Quote:
Incidentally before the usual nonsense is banged on about on how they've paid tax all their life, etc, etc, I'm 33 and have already paid a lot of tax, doesn't mean I get to pay so much of it then get my income tax free, my goods VAT free, etc. Neither time paying tax nor amount of tax paid are relevant.
Throughout the entirety of my working life, I and everybody else in any age group you wish to attack paid the going percentage rate on money earned. The big number you see in the deductions column of you salary slip is probably no different to the same percentage hit I was seeing at your age.

BTW nice to see you back ranting on about the favourable treatment of the oldies (even though you are wrong). Perhaps you should consider for a moment just how difficult it is for some oldies to get a decent return on those great mountains of cash without losing a fortune to inflation before seeing the remaining proceeds decimated by tax. Life can be hard but we are all in it together but some of us, with life experience, just grin and bear it.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote