View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 15:48   #63
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
re: Operation Yewtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's a pretty cynical view, and not one which stands up to any sort of scrutiny. There are people involved in charity and voluntary works of all kinds who have no personal connection to the cause, whether it's meals on wheels, a cancer charity or one of the many uniformed and non-uniformed youth organisations.

In fact, in my experience, lack of willingness of the parents to get involved is one of the main reasons why such organisations can't do everything they would like to or, worse, are forced to shut down.

Do you "wonder all the time" at the motives of the person with no living elderly relatives, who delivers meals on wheels?
In a word YES. With out trawling I am sure there have been cases of vulnerable people suffering at the hands of their carers. Sorry but I do wonder why they would do it. That is not to say that there is anything wrong. Just what is the motivation, perhaps thinking along these lines if it "saves " one person is not such a bad thing.
The carers that look after my father ( along with family, I have to add) are paid well over the going rate. So to hopefully ensure that they want to keep the job. However we have cameras ( with his full knowledge & permission) all over the house. Some in clear site others hidden . Just in case. Also a agency was/is employed to run full checks on anyone new entering his home.

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
This is an example of where media hype has (I believe) damaged society. It's now thought of as weird that people who have no kids (for whatever reason, whether through choice, biology or circumstance) would want to just help kids without being some sort of pervert.

My sister, for instance, used to volunteer for our local council, supervising kids (who had problems at home and were often victims of various kinds of abuse). She would spend a week or two away at a local camp, just supervising these kids, and was frequently able to get them to open up about the problems they had. She had no kids, and didn't want any at the time. It does not automatically follow that she had sexual feelings for them.

Now, I am not saying that there aren't paedophiles. There are. I am saying that the Media (and in particular the Press) have made us as a society think there are more paedophiles than there are.
I simply wonder why people would want to do it. At no time did I wish to tar all with the same brush. That does not stop the question from passing though my mind. I can not look out for every person in the world. However when my family are involved I will always go the extra mile to ensure his or her safety & if that means questioning( If only silently) peoples motives.So be it.