View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10   #28
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Government to monitor Internet Use

Why do they want to monitor internet use, terrorism?

The latest mortality statistic I could get my hands on was for England and Wales from 2010. Of the total 493,242 deaths in 2010 not one was due to terrorism.

So if the government is interested in protecting the public from harm they could look at for example the 141,446 deaths due to cancers and neoplasms as this was up +0.7% on the previous year or digestive diseases (25,662) up +1.7% on 2009.

I know money is already spent in these areas and I'm not saying counter-terrorism is not important but we need prospective.

If we are so frightened of terrorism that we are willing to give up the presumption of innocence then the terrorist have already won.

I know what you’re thinking; another wishy-washy liberal, if I’ve got nothing to hide, I’ve got nothing to fear, right!
I just don’t want to be treated like a criminal without reasonable suspicion.
The use of existing anti-terror laws don’t exactly have a good track record, no reason to think the data collected if this goes through would be any different, assuming they don’t just leave it on a train.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
Why do they want to monitor internet use, terrorism?

The latest mortality statistic I could get my hands on was for England and Wales from 2010. Of the total 493,242 deaths in 2010 not one was due to terrorism.

So if the government is interested in protecting the public from harm they could look at for example the 141,446 deaths due to cancers and neoplasms as this was up +0.7% on the previous year or digestive diseases (25,662) up +1.7% on 2009.

I know money is already spent in these areas and I'm not saying counter-terrorism is not important but we need prospective.

If we are so frightened of terrorism that we are willing to give up the presumption of innocence then the terrorist have already won.

I know what you’re thinking; another wishy-washy liberal, if I’ve got nothing to hide, I’ve got nothing to fear, right!
I just don’t want to be treated like a criminal without reasonable suspicion.
The use of existing anti-terror laws don’t exactly have a good track record, no reason to think the data collected if this goes through would be any different, assuming they don’t just leave it on a train.
Damn, now I'm on the watch list.