View Single Post
Old 16-05-2017, 00:13   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: The Home Automation Thread

I use Hue and the Harmony Hub. Though I mainly use the ipad for basic controls of the TV (Harmony) when the remote is out of reach. I can control the TV via voice but it's quicker to use a remote. And you can then use any phone to control anything that uses a remote. It doesn't get used that often though.

I was an early adopter for the Hue lights, luckily the prices have come down quite a lot now. Wait for a good offer with the hub and a couple of bulbs. There's now quite a range of bulbs and LED strips on offer. They can be expensive so make sure you know what you want and for what purpose. I use blooms mainly as accent lighting which I think they may have been discontinued which is a shame. (But I've ordered a few spare in case I can't find them in a year or 2).

As soon as you get a couple of bulbs, you will probably end up swapping every bulb over as it can be addictive. You can buy cheaper 3rd party bulbs that'll work with the Hue hub, just white dimmer'ables but at around £7-8 each they are ideal for rooms you don't go in much maybe.

I do prefer IOS platform to control them over Android. You can use a smartphone but everything is so much better with an iPad.

I also use an AV (RXV581) which now comes with a decent IOS App, so you can control all the sound settings and music from just about any source via iPad which really helps.

As for other things like wifi washing machines and kettles etc they are just a gimmick obviously.