View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 12:46   #1113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I was quite interested in Kodi as it appeared to offer so much additional content. However, it seems to me that unless you get the addons which give you access to pirated material, there's not really much there of any interest.

I am not prepared to go down the content piracy route as it doesn't feel right to me. What we are doing by watching it is denying proper payment to the content provider, which damages the whole industry, added to which I am not convinced by those who say that watching content by this means is perfectly legal. I don't see how it can be, as the viewer is basically watching stuff that is offered in return for payment. And we all know what it amounts to if you take possession of something you haven't paid for, don't we?

The lesson for content providers is to stop doing these exclusive deals and putting in place other restrictions so that we can all gain legitimate access to the programmes we want to watch without paying an arm and a leg for doing so. I am sure that, in the end, a way will be found to prevent piracy more effectively, but I will not be taking advantage of this loophole in the meantime.

Besides, with Netflix, Amazon, Now TV and my cable subscription, I can view most things that I want to see. But not everyone can afford that, and I do wonder if a solution may lie in 'the cloud' whereby everyone can obtain access to content for a reasonable price without having to subscribe to multiple content providers. This could work by payment of a subscription that would allow access to a given number of hours of content over the course of a month, which could be tiered as well to reflect the value of that content.

That would, to my mind, make for a more 'equal society' in terms of access to programming.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote