View Single Post
Old 27-04-2015, 01:41   #279
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Thanks Theone, that is quite interesting. You are certainly making a decent saving, but not everyone will be fortunate enough to get the saving you do on Sony Vue so I guess that makes the cost you pay an unfair guidline to someone like me who would have to pay full whack for Sony TV.
Kudos for the getting the discount though, it's nice to see loyalty rewarded, even if it not is directly from the company! Are the channels you receive all HD?

The vpn is an option I am choosing not to take currently, so in that respect more fool me for not using it.

The following paragraphs are not aimed at you, they are there simply to aid discussion, if anyone wants to continue with it.
Please feel free to respond though, you know much more about this than I do!!

I have just had a look at Playstation Vue and sling and as far as I can see, they both offer linear TV stations over the Internet. Currently they appear to be far from killing off linear TV, simply offering linear channels over the web. So in my eyes, this strengthens the case for linear channels surviving for many years. It might mean the end of the set top box in 10 years, but I don't see it killing linear TV.

I have also seen the pricing and it seems that I would have to pay $70 for the top package on Sony TV and that alone is considerably more than my TV subscription on VM.

Based on all the companies that could potentially offer a streaming service, I fear greatly for the potential costs of watching TV via streaming on demand packages, if it ever happens. I will stick having it all in one from one supplier, if possible!
Sorry i should of been clearer i blame the drink lol, i get directtv,xfinity and dish from someone in USA, Sony vue is a new service launched by sony i don't have that at the moment.
To confirm too xfinity, directtv and dish all stream linear channels too.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote