View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 15:42   #1
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack
VIP50/TiVo Packs and International calls

This has to do with the phone part of the VIP50 TiVo packages, but because it's the TiVo version only I felt this was probably the best place to put this info. If the mods feel it needs moved then I understand.

I just got my bill today for the first month of my VIP50/TiVo package and all seemed well till I looked at my call charges. I make a lot of international calls, and in both my previous incarnations of the VIP20 and VIP50 packages I had Call International which was a £1.75 a month charge (then reduced in the discounts) and Call Mobile for the same charge. This International plan meant international calls were approx 3p/min.

Imagine my shock when I found that from the 15th of this month (when I had the TiVo installed) my international calls were TWENTY PENCE per minute!! Looking over the bill carefully it seems that when being switched to the TiVo version of the VIP50 contract that version has

Talk International 2
Talk Mobile 2

Both of those at £2 a month and both of those with calls charging MORE than the previous versions.

I don't understand it, I wasn't informed of it and I'm totally gobsmacked at it. Why would I want to pay more (yes I get it discounted) for a plan that actually charges me 10x the amount per minute than my original one.

So I've been on the phone with CS in retentions as I figure they are best placed to try to sort this out - especially as I wasn't informed of the per minute increase and made calls I expected to be around a couple of pounds which are now costing me around £20!! They have said that because it's a TiVo specific bundle they cannot change it, but are ringing the TiVo sales to see what they can do to get me the service I need and once they get that sorted they'll work on figuring out refunds for the differences...

There is a plan for £5 a month which gives 250 free minutes internationally (to Canada and US - not sure where else as I can't find any information on any of these plans on the Virgin Website anywhere - just the main Talk International for £1.75) and if you go over it's 2p a minute after that. I don't mind paying that, but I'm still ticked off about paying (yes it's then discounted) £2 a month for a plan that gives me no benefit at all.

So those of you with VIP50 and TiVo who make international calls be prepared for a HUGE shock when your bill comes in!

I'll let you know the final outcome. The lady who I've been dealing with will be ringing me back once she speaks to the other sales team

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Okay, she's rung me back with further information and I think I'm just about sorted.

Some info since I couldn't find it anywhere on the website. The only 'talk international' I could find on the website was this one:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/ta...rnational.html

However there are 3 other plans - these can each be associated with the VIP50/TiVo account - I don't know where else they can be bundled in with - but I figured it might be helpful if you want to see the info:

This is the one that they automatically bundle in which is then part of the discount:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/ph...national2.html

And here are the other two

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/ph...national5.html

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/ph...ational10.html

She then transferred me to Sales who were the ones who needed to set that up for me. For my needs (being a transplanted Canadian with friends and family all over the world) I went with the Talk International 10. They took out the 2 and put in the 10, so it's only costing me an extra £8 a month which is what I've been spending on international calls in the past anyway, but this way it gets me them for the equivalent of 1p per minute. Obviously this may be way more than most need, but I figured I'd let you know that you can swap in the best plan for you and still get the £2 discount in your bundle.

But definitely the Talk International 2 is NOT NEARLY the value of the original one - not even close! So watch your bills!

I was then sent back to customer service where I explained that I had not been informed of this difference in international plans and had made calls based on 3p a minute that had ended up costing me around £35 instead of less than £5. I said of course if I'd been advised of the difference I'd have signed up for one of the other plans immediately - I'm not the kind of person who wants something for nothing, but I do want my calls at 3p/minute if that's what I think I'm paying due to lack of information.

He said not a problem at all and has said he will go work out my refund and will ring me back shortly to confirm, but that it won't be an issue.

So - it was a lot of runaround between a few departments but everyone who was involved in the account was very helpful and looks like it'll be sorted shortly.

Apologies for the long-windedness of this. I know to a lot of people the international thing is irrelevant, but for those who DO make a lot of calls I just wanted to give a heads up.
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote