View Single Post
Old 19-10-2017, 16:11   #3088
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Maybe it's all Kim Jong-un's fault...

All of the BBC LRs are available online in multiple formats, ViLoR is more about streamlining and centralising LR infrastructure. A nice theory though.

Perhaps someone will be able to match up the pattern of the "Test" service names with some theory.

As we know, Test V1 has been added to the NIT on various networks. The following have yet to appear:

Test W1, Test W2, Test W3, Test W4, Test W5, Test W6
Test X1, Test X2
Test Y1, Test Y2, Test Y3, Test Y4, Test Y5
Test Z1, Test Z2

Any theories?

Probably moved back to the graveyard section of the EPG, where it usually resides.

I would agree for new channels but will these be linear broadcast channels, EPG linked apps or something else?
I didn't go to bed in the end as my head was hurting, so put the TV on. At exactly 6am all TV & BB went down. I tried a reboot, but it came up with a channels loading bar that stuck at 16%. Probably cos the BB was down; the V6 must need the internet to populate the EPG.

I rang VM to tell them about it, press 1, press, 2 etc and entered my password. Only at that point did it tell me they were closed until 8am grrrrrr. It was at that point that I really decided that it was time for bed

One thing that makes me doubt my own theory is why all the coded names? BBC local radio is hardly earth shattering . Maybe they are to follow Sky and use codes all the time to frustrate the likes of us!

Also, ViLoR isn't infallible:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/09/eig...s-fall-silent/

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Doesn't the V6 already have an internet radio app. I am sure the Radioline app was recently added which gives access to most UK radio stations including the BBC. Why would VM use up more broadcast bandwidth when the facility to receive the stations is already there?
Sorry, I said the Tune-In app earlier, it's actually the Radioline app as you say.

All the national stations are also available in the app, as well as on the EPG.

Being on the EPG would enable us to record, set series links, set reminders etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Regional BBC variations in HD?
Good thinking John and maybe this is why the services are being added piecemeal.

There are currently 15 local BBC1's (the three Nations are already HD) and BBC2 Scotland (the only difference is the last 20 minutes of Newsnight)

This makes a total of 16!

Only the other week, the Points Of View programme answered a viewers question about the time being taken to roll out the regional variations in HD. They said that budgetary constraints had led to them having to use "imaginative ways" to carry out the task.

Maybe they meant that it will be delivered over the internet??

The use of codes may be that they want to keep it secret before making a formal announcement for all platforms.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-10-2017 at 16:14.