View Single Post
Old 23-07-2017, 09:29   #1
rssfed23
cf.member

rssfed23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Project lightning/Fttp limitations?

Hello.

Wondering if anyone on here has any good/positive experiences with new build project lightning expansions using the FTTP/RfOG technology they're using for many of them?
I'm in a rural Village (RG23 7 Oakley Hampshire - area 31) that went live a couple of weeks back and have never got the 300mbits I'm now paying for.

Thing is though the system didn't let me order 300. Averaging at about 50 (normally a solid 20 up though). It didn't even have vivid 200 gamer.

I didn't realise normal vivid 200 didn't have 20 up so once it went live I phoned retentions to cancel or see if I could have gamer or vivid 300 and he said the system didn't show it as explicitly allowed but the computer didn't refuse when he put it on.

For the 2 hours I was on 200 I was getting around 180 which was great. Since going to 300 I don't think I've seen more than 150 once.

I've been doing some more intimate diagnostics and tests over the last 72 hours (speedtest.net and fast.com tests every 15 minutes via a script) and have not hit more than 50 in these 72 hours (average is around 30/35) but upload has been solid. This has pretty much ruled out contention for me (can't imagine contention is too bad at 3/5am on a Sunday morning?) and also given I'm one of such a small number of people with VM installed at the moment.

So I'm wondering if anyone smarter than I here knows of any limitations with the new project lightning installs that use the FTTP/RfOG technology?
As this is all relatively new to me and I've never had RfOG before I don't really know where to begin.

I've made a much more detailed post over at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../false#M169291 including my line stats and ping monitor.

If anyone could shed some light or suggestions for me to try It'd be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rob
rssfed23 is offline   Reply With Quote