Thread: T3 Timeouts.
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 01:15   #13
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Re: T3 Timeouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The bit I highlighted in blue is important. From that I take it you're in an ex-Telewest area where they provided each house with a private cable to the street box. So your SNR to the cabinet isn't the issue. But another house on the cabinet could be injecting noise for a number of reasons and this could affect your downstream speed when that happens - and everyone else's. Have you spoken to anyone else with VM service?
Yep, I'm ex-Telewest. I'm not even sure there is anybody else on my street who has VM broadband. I shall do some asking around, although I suspect a lot of people wouldn't have noticed anything amiss, other than things being a bit slower than usual. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
The power level too high? If you're a long distance from the cabinet he might have moved you up to a block with less attenuation. If the power went too high, he may have moved you up more than one block on the frame. IMO, it means he didn't really know what he was doing in some respects. There are amplifiers every 100m and if they're working properly, he should have needed to move you up in the frame. If they're not working properly, that could be where the problem lies.
To be fair it could well be me mis-remembering the details of what I was told - this last issue was a couple of years ago. We had a number of engineers out and several attempts at solving it though and I'm absolutely positive some of them didn't know what they were doing because they told me conflicting things about the power levels I was seeing at the time. This was one of the things that prompted me to post here this time - so I stand a chance of spotting when I'm being fed a line.

We never had a single problem with our service in our previous house for the 4 years we had it. Since moving into this property its been one thing after another and they've all been a real sod to get sorted out. I'd just put it down to bad luck...

Quote:
Finally, the TV. You can go to the Menu/settings and see your power and SNR levels. They should be comparable with the broadband.
TV STB is currently showing the following:

SNR - 33.308dB
AGC Signal Level (whatever that is!) - 8dBmV
Return Power - 45dBmV

I also noticed a Timers section. I assume this is the same kind of thing as VM referred to seeing on my connection? (A cable STB is basically still a cable modem, isn't it?). The Timers section had a T1 count of 1 and a T4 count of 25. All other counters were zero.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote