Thread: T3 Timeouts.
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 01:05   #11
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Re: T3 Timeouts.

Thank you Seph. I see small fluctuations in downstream power all the time - usually of the order of 0.1 dBmV to 0.2 dBmV. If I sit and just keep hitting F5 I can see the figure change each time. Same thing happens with the downstream SNR. I gather these small fluctuations are normal though. The drop of nearly 2 dBmv in the space of a couple of days is the biggest I've ever seen though (I'm sorry to say I'm sad enough to monitor these things fairly closely, even when I have no problems ).

I shall start logging power levels over the next week or so. I take it there is no way I can get these values other than accessing the config pages via my browser? It would be nice if I could automate it so I can take regular readings throughout the day...

Something else occurs to me that may be relevant:

When we first moved into this property we had a lot of problems with the TV reception. We were told it was because we are a fair distance from the cabinet and the cable used was insufficient for that kind of distance. This meant power levels were too low (IIRC). We had a repull done (eventually) which left power levels to the modem too high so they had to come out and fit an attenuator. Not sure whether this has any bearing on the situation...

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote