View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 22:06   #10
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Does 8 Channels actually mean anything?

Ok here is my theories.

Most areas appear to not be heading to 8 downstreams, I think this thread is the 3rd person I have seen on the entire internet with 8, ignition only has 4 and most seems to be getting 5 or 6.

My area gives me full speed now with 5, and it didnt with 4, my neighbour on the 100mbit service doesnt get full speed still but it did improve when the extra channel was added. Ignition gets full with 4 channels, so obviously still huge variation going on with VMs network area by area. Expected given the small size of the pipes.

I think there is other upgrades that have been done side by side like a node split or something because my US has been improved for the past week or 2 yet there is no new US channels so something was done to improve that as well. Are they shrinking the service groups? Or was that unique to my port because there was a high utilisation fault hmm.

US bonding is coming according to ignition, we dont yet know if thats just existing channels or new ones been used. But if they halved each US group via node splits and then bonded existing channels thats still a doubling of capacity. Although in my view not enough I suppose its something.

As it stands now I am fairly happy with my service and it would be nice if they left it as is but of course the upload speeds are been doubled at some point so this is probably a temporary situation until that happens.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote