View Single Post
Old 16-02-2012, 07:06   #14
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
Firstly Andrewcrawford23 you need to sort your posts out. They are very hard to read full of typos/spelling errors/poor grammar. Don't take offense, I am just saying. You may get more replies if you do.

As for your theory, I would some what disagree. I have ran speedtests on the slowest of slow systems struggling to draw the speedtest page correctly, yet they still come up with the same speedtest result. Surely the speedtest is coded in such a way that it would not be dependent on how any java/active x/scripted performance within a browser is performing. Yes it has graphics and is all pretty, but from the point in time when you actually submit the speedtest it's all going on in the background.

It could in theory have an effect yes, but I think it would be minimal. Surely it would also be very obvious to someone running a test if the browser performance was being compromised by "60 - 70 programs" in the first place and the very nature of running said test would not be the best...errr... "test".

Who runs "60-70 programs" anyway? I mean at once...is that what you meant?

For reference I have an ancient machine here that I just did a speedtest on and it came out faster than a modern day machine. I think as said above it is much more dependant on other factors like at the speedtest server end for a start.
I hate these topics .. but spyware is a common cause of slow speeds, I'd suggest a piece of spy/malware would be considered a running program and very much affects the speed of the test. I would also question the limitations of an operating system, I know with some old versions of windows the TCP connection limits the speed .. (if memory serves) I'm not a fan of networks and this stuff so feel free to correct me.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote