View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 15:28   #93
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your lot, Harry. But you don't have to look far to realise that many people indeed want more. For example, why are so many trying to break out of the UK restrictions using 'Unblockus' and so on? Why are so many people wingeing about Virgin Media's inability to give us access to Sky Atlantic?

Yes, it can be annoying when you are watching a series and a friend or colleague blurts out what happens next, but surely that was the situation with 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix, wasn't it? Look how many people were into that and enjoyed it immensely.

And if the streaming companies decide to bring us new programmes on a week by week basis, there is nothing to stop them doing that by popular demand.
Yeah people want more (i.e. Atlantic), but I thought this was a discussion about the future of linear tv channels and how you would prefer to have the same shows on linear TV available advert free and that you want to be watch them at any given time ahead of it's scheduled showing on linear TV? Have I missed something in the way the discussion has developed over the weeks?

BTW, it's not just VM don't get access to Atlantic. You can hardly blame them if no-one else is prepared to what Sky apparently ask for.
Ironically, if VM ever did get SA (hugely unlikely), it will be a recordable linear channel with no real need for a streaming service, as you can simply record the linear broadcast. Odd you mention that when you can get it as a streaming service via Now TV!!!!!

Yup, that is a fair point about Breaking Bad etc, consider that point retracted.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your lot, Harry. But you don't have to look far to realise that many people indeed want more. For example, why are so many trying to break out of the UK restrictions using 'Unblockus' and so on? Why are so many people wingeing about Virgin Media's inability to give us access to Sky Atlantic?

Yes, it can be annoying when you are watching a series and a friend or colleague blurts out what happens next, but surely that was the situation with 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix, wasn't it? Look how many people were into that and enjoyed it immensely.

And if the streaming companies decide to bring us new programmes on a week by week basis, there is nothing to stop them doing that by popular demand.

Funding is a separate issue. It is a matter for ITV and the like to find different income streams. This is the big issue in a lot of areas with sites on the internet (eg newspapers, etc). Examples of ways around it include subscriptions and sales to providers like Netflix and on demand providers like Virgin Media. Advertising on the sites themselves or as a precurser to the programme are other alternatives
Lets say you can't afford pay TV, how would you pay extra to watch shows that are currently FTA on ITV? Why should the less well off have to miss out on FTA programs? LOL, so instead of adverts during the show, you will be happy to sit through the same amount of adverts at the beginning of a show and/or be bombarded with them on a webpage. Rather defeats the object, surely

Edit, why should ITV have to find alternative funding? It is working pretty well for them as it is currently.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote