View Single Post
Old 21-01-2015, 15:26   #34
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
[/COLOR] Ah, you are assuming that under the scenario painted that when a series like Broadchurch becomes available, you will be able to see every episode straight away.

However, I suspect that we will move to a new schedule each day for each channel, with a catch up facility (or maybe all programmes would move to the cloud for future viewing, replacing the need to record).

So each day, each broadcaster would list all the programmes that will be shown on that day, and from the appointed time would become available to view. This would be so much more convenient for people who do not view at conventional times (eg night workers and shift workers).

Linear TV may survive, I agree, but I think new ways of watching TV will become prevalent over time and the way we view now will seem pretty primitive.

The main issue will be how these programmes are funded in the future. It will be for the broadcasters to work out new funding streams, but I would imagine that subscriptions will bring the majority of the income for the commercial channels. This can be boosted by other income streams, such as programme sponsorship, advertising on programme guides, product placement, etc.[COLOR="Silver"]
BIB, So the broadcasters could list all the programs available on a daily basis, at a certain time. Sounds rather a lot like what happens now with EPG's and TV guides. If only there was a system in place which people who work shifts could shifts find a way to record a show and watch at convenient time for them. Oh wait, there already is.

Lets also say, I work a 5am - 8pm shift (not uncommon in food retail) and I do not get to see when Broadchurch becomes available to watch ahead of linear tv. I then go on the internet to see what is happening in the world and see a host of posts/stories about the show, all because I did not know when the show could be downloaded. What should I do in that instance, stay off the internet just incase my viewing pleasure is ruined? As it stands, if I miss Broadchurch, I know to steer clear of certain sites until I have caught up with it.

With regards to the other revenue streams, why would ITV want to risk crippling their revenue stream when it works well for them currently? What purpose would it serve them to offer their shows on demand with no adverts? What other revenue streams are available to them? Charity contributions? Bank loans?

Don't get me wrong, linear TV may well die off in the next 20 years, I just can not see it happening.

I love a good debate on here, but I think your argument is massively flawed. The TV companies have a good deal going for them, nothing is really broken with the system and I can't see why they would risk losing their revenue stream from adverts. Netflix etc will continue to be a nice luxury for those who can afford it and the two different ways of watch TV will stay exactly the same.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote