View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 18:00   #1102
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sky clearly have an agenda when it comes to competitiveness, I grant you, but the fact that they have actually drawn attention to their tardiness in offering on demand content is significant and gives us some insight to how Sky is thinking.

I think you will find that linear TV will be offered by way of streaming and on demand in future, Den. But don't fret, I am sure that this tectonic shift won't happen in the current decade!
By way of throwing you a wee bone for a change OB, last night our kids were watching Blue Peter, which included a live appearance by two of the young stars from Netflix's new adaptation of Lemony Snickett. It's clear to see the BBC is happy to treat Netflix as a serious platform, however I think we can agree that there is no way they would have done this had the series been premiering on CITV. So while they're treating it seriously, they're also treating it as something different, and not necessarily as competition.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Oh, and by way of full disclosure, I've been full of the cold this week, and when one of my kids was off school with it a few days ago, we binge-watched all eight episodes.

We have finally taken a month's trial sub to Netflix as there was some stuff the kids wanted to see. It is definitely nice to have, but I'm finding that its main effect on me is to invite me to distract myself with TV at times when I'd otherwise just go and do something else.

It's been fun but we'll be cancelling before they start charging us. We might take out an ad hoc month here or there in future though, if they release something good ... like another series of Lemony Snickett.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote