View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 15:53   #1100
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Is this the beginning of the end for linear TV channels?

http://www.thejournal.ie/discovery-c...06618-Jan2017/

...In a statement to Variety, a Sky spokesperson said: “Despite our best efforts to reach a sensible agreement, we, like many other platforms and broadcasters across Europe, have found the price expectations for the Discovery portfolio to be completely unrealistic. Discovery’s portfolio of channels includes many which are linear-only, where viewing is falling.
I don't believe this will be the beginning of the end for linear TV, but I hope it might be the beginning of the end of the major platform providers forcing us to pay for channels we don't want to get the channels we do want.
Never again will I be forced into buying a bundle of channels to get access to the things I want, my viewing needs are supplied by Freeview and online services these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
BT is streamed and is superb quality.
Grey area here real debrid on kodi gives 1080p quality.
NBCsports imo is better pq than sky sports hd.
Also 've found xfinity streamed channels to be superb quality many times beating broadcast quality.
I am in agreement with Mr K, online streaming services are getting better each year but they're still not as good as broadcast HD.

I wont deny BT offer a great streaming picture quality but its not as good as the HD picture I used to get through VM.
I'm not sure what you're watching NBC Sports on but on my 48" TV even their 1080P streams are not as good as ESPN, Fox Sports or BBC Iplayers 720P streams let alone watching Sky Sports in HD.

For what its worth here's how I'd rank the online services for sports viewing:-
1/ ESPN/BBC Iplayer, not a lot to choose between these two, about the closest available to broadcast HD.
2/ BT Sports/Fox2go, fractionally below the above but still very watchable
3/Eurosport Player/Now TV, pretty good but in the middle ground between SD and HD via traditional methods
4/NBC Sports, as #3 but slightly worse

All that being said I appreciate I'm lucky to have a very dear friend in the US who lets me use their cable login to access the US services and would never complain about the quality on them and will take the slight drop in quality on the UK services I pay for to not have the ridiculously large bill I'd have with VM to get them.

I'll venture into your grey area and say Real Debrid would be a must if I used Kodi for TV and movie watching but people should not be fooled by the headline resolution, quite often the HD variants on the grey area Kodi addons offer a pretty low bitrate and I'd liken them to the now defunct yify group encodes (if you use VM's broadband there's a way to get movies in Bluray quality and TV shows as good as they originally aired for free without resorting to risky torrents but that's not a conversation for an open forum like this)
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote