View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07   #51
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
why are VM acting like a startup isp that has no customer base and capacity to fill [snip]
I think the poster who saw this as a spoiler for Infinity hit the nail on the head.

Check any TBB chart from an ADSL or Infinity customer and you will see a huge difference in jitter even against fairly lightly loaded VM areas. So along comes Infinity and VM must be saying goodbye to loads of gamers. Then take the areas where there is high congestion - given the lack of any credible traffic management or capacity upgrades in a reasonable timescale and Infinity will grab some more VM customers.

VM could sort out their capacity issues but as the company is run by marketing they are instead offering headline speed upgrades which will in all probability make the reasons people leave for Infinity more widespread although it must be said that it isn't the speed itself that causes congestion but the sustained use of that speed.

It will be interesting to see how much of that 30Mbps I'll be able to get in this supposedly upgraded area which is already showing high levels of congestion less than a month down the line. At least it makes my decision on whether to risk an upgrade to 30Mbps a really easy one to make.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote