View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 19:09   #554
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I think if we look to the States and as with all things we follow at some point, I do agree with the earlier remark that it is pay tv linear channels most at threat here.

None of us care what channel broadcasts what show, the loyalty to a particular channel is long gone assuming it ever existed at all. But we all want good shows. The increasing cord cutting in the states has shown that Americans, at least for now, still watch the main broadcast channels but supplement them with a streaming service. This country will follow suit.

I believe Now TV is a defensive move by Sky to protect its business not threaten it. If people are going to cut the cord/ditch the dish, Now TV is positioned to pick up some of that business. A very clever move by Sky.

The Superbowl viewing figures show that if you have the right programme, linear viewing can still work. But I believe this will become ever more diminishing in the future. Linear tv viewing, that is.
Yes, basically I agree with this. Sky now seem to have taken stock and realised that the trend will be away from linear broadcast channels In favour of streaming. Although, as Harry said, Now TV allows viewers to watch the channels it offers live, I have never used that part of the service.

It is true that the Superbowl attracted a huge number of viewers for linear TV, but then, there was no alternative if you wanted to watch it as it happened. However, in time, the streaming of live events will be the norm.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote