View Single Post
Old 26-01-2015, 04:45   #4
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan:35755168
I would hold off on the 970 - looks like they are all getting recalled due to a memory issue!

http://www.techpowerup.com/209205/ge...gb-report.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/n...ory-allocation
Interesting, although I haven't checked for vram usage I don't perceive any issues, certainly haven't seen any micro stutters.

Also neither of the links actually state that cards will be recalled, nvidia are still looking into it and could quite well be addressed with an ota firmware upgrade,

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie:35755164
Hi guys

don't know if you guys remember or not
but a few months back i was deciding to RMA my Asus 7970Ghz or not
in the end i RMAed it in NOV

thing is it was damaged in shipping to retailer (Scan)
even with the amount of bubble wrap i used
looks only cosmetically damaged from photos
but cause of that
retailer won't do any testing
but they gave me the option of sending to manufacturer and see if they accept it and test it

well be over 2 months now and been chasing Scan a few times
who in turn said will chase the supplier
but they ain't getting any update either
worst thing is even though the usual time frame is 4-6weeks
there's no actual deadline for the supplier to get it done

gotten to the point of thinking of just go and get a GTX970
on Monday if i get no update by then

but been reading some memory problems with them
which might or might not be that serious

so now in a bit of a dilemma

should i go and get a GTX 970?
get a AMD 290X (i have 600W PSU is it ok?)
wait for the RMA and/or next AMD card release(read its be released in march?)

what do you guys think?
You get a lot of card for the money, IMO get the 970 and get a full refund from your retailer.
Had my 970 jetstream since release month without issue, even the dreaded coil whine which blights some brands isn't evident on my card and which was my biggest concern when buying the 970 and a question I asked the retailer about and what their stance was should the card I buy have coil whine.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote