View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 12:08   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Vista stuck on black screen with flashing cursor?

I'm not certain what is occurring here. I started off thinking new disk might be bad but then began to wonder if it could be something to do with using the acronis boot disk.
I'll detail what I do for data recovery in case that might help. It may seem a bit long-winded but it always works.

Firstly make an acronis image of the old disk. I always work from an image to avoid problems with the bad disk failing or decaying further as the process goes on. Also you can be fairly sure that the files in the image are error-free as by default acronis will fail on a bad file/folder. Save this image to a usb external drive.
Next I temporarily install Acronis on the new disk and use that to mount the saved disk image from the usb drive.
Once the image is mounted I create a temporary 'saved files' folder on the desktop and use windows explorer to copy/paste across to this from the mounted image. Files from there can be sorted and relocated later.

Long-winded as I said, but it has always worked for me.

Once it's all done, unistall acronis and get the user to help sort out the mess of files.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote