View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 09:12   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Vista stuck on black screen with flashing cursor?

I've seen several references to this on google searches but haven't managed to fix it and it seems to be something to do with data that has been restored...
I'm fixing the laptop for a friend and his old HD came up with lots of bad sectors and prompted chkdsk to run constantly and recover data.
I swapped the HD out for him, did a fresh install of Vista and that seemed ok. The problems seem to start after I recover his old data using Acronis.
Initially I tried recovering all the data to the original locations which was bad as it resulted in errors in the profile etc.
I then tried a new install then recovered all the contents of the old drive to a folder on root of C called 'old disk' but then it would hang on booting for ages and startup repair detected two Vista OS's installed as I had recovered the Windows folder and things like bootmgr etc into that folder.
So I tried again, fresh install then used Acronis Boot CD to only recover the following into the C:\old disk folder:
Users
Documents and Settings (from previous install)
Program Files
Program Data
Old drive (folder)

I didn't restore the Windows folder or any files on the root of C.

and get the blinking cursor on black screen again...
Some of the data on the backup was corrupted so I have run chkdsk a few times to correct that which it seems to have done now.
I have also tried startup repair and also fixmbr/fixboot etc in recovery console.
It does get to the Windows splash screen and scrolling bar but after about a minute of a black screen with the flashing cursor.

The laptop had a SATA drive in it, it's recognised that fine in BIOS so I didn't think that was the issue. It's a Toshiba laptop, can't remember which model specifically but came with 160GB as standard, I put a 250GB drive in to it.

Could it be something in Program Data/Program Files/Users causing the issue?

I had already run a number of AV/Malware scans on it before as I thought possibly it had a boot virus or something...
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote