View Single Post
Old 17-06-2015, 14:49   #375
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, first of all of course I agree that if younger viewers are watching 50% of content ad free, the other 50% isn't. My maths is at least that good. The point is, this percentage of ad free material is much higher than for older age groups and if everyone fell into the habit of viewing ad free wherever possible, the linear channels will be in trouble.

Whilst recordings have adverts (don't I know it), these are skippable and if viewers are skipping the ads, clearly the advertisers are not getting much benefit from that. I can shave around 15 minutes off recorded programming from the likes of Sky every hour and this is the only way I will watch the non premium Sky channels these days.

The DVDs I have bought recently do not have ads ('Game of Thrones' and 'Boardwalk Empire' do not have ads that I have to sit through at all). I know Blockbuster used to add commercials to their DVDs and maybe rental outlets still do this. However, aren't they skippable as well?

In terms of other digital viewing where you may get the odd pop up ad, this is rather different from the three or more minutes a time that have to be endured when watching broadcast television.

I have no experience of unskippable ads on demand because I think this is what you get on the computer, whereas the on demand you get on TV does not have this. I do concede that I had not taken account of unskippable ads on demand via computer.

I am not disagreeing that if advertisements do come big time to all methods of watching programmes, this will save linear TV. My point is that viewers are becoming tired of being beholden to the viewing schedules of linear TV and their interminable advertisements and sooner or later, people will migrate from that type of viewing.

I do not believe that streaming services will get bogged down with advertising, although as long as they offer this as an alternative to subscription viewing, this would be acceptable to me.
Nope, everybody has the option join Netflix etc and watch ad free programs. It is not restricted to a certain percentage of people or age groups.
I will say it once again, only 6% of 16-24 year old's watched guaranteed ad free content it. That suggests the younger generation are not falling into the habit of watching ad free content. Why are you struggling to understand that?

Yes, recordings and DVD ads are skippable, but that is the point. As I have said before, people have been skipping ad's for as long as I can remember, that is for well over 30 years and it still works as well now as it did 30 years ago - it will continue to happen for many, many more years yet.

IF companies are getting upset by paying good money for ad's and people are skipping ad's, what do you think they will do in the future - just roll over and not offer any ad's ever again? Or force people to watch them on VOD/streaming content. There will always be a need for companies to advertize, and companies will want to reach the maximum amount of people. If, as you suggest, that will be on demand, you can bet your bottom dollar that is where it will go!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote