View Single Post
Old 15-06-2015, 17:36   #371
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I couldn't really say how much I would be prepared to pay because it would depend on what was on offer. I wouldn't want to pay a lot more for the services Netflix currently offer, but if we had a better range of programming, such as is available in the US, I would definitely pay a few quid more every month.

Any streaming service that offered me a really huge library of material (including the new as well as the old stuff) would be more valuable to me than the subscription I pay to Sky Movies and Sky Sports, lets put it that way.

At some point in the future, when streaming services have a more comprehensive offer, I shall certainly look again at the TV package I subscribe to and I may ditch some of my existing packages. I am certainly becoming disillusioned with Sky's offering these days, there's virtually nothing on their non premium channels worth watching. The Channel 4 bouquet of channels puts them to shame.
Fair enough to the price. I think Sky are obviously putting all the "good" stuff on Atlantic purely to try to continue to force people to get Sky.

With regards your post in the other thread, someone pointed out the majority of people are watching linear TV. Very few are watching on demand/streaming.
I would not expect 16-24 year olds to watch much TV anyway. I also doubt there are that many adverts aimed at 16-24 year olds. Over 60% of that demographic are watching linear and recorded tv, why aren't the rest watching more on demand/streaming (which includes some linear services)? That's over 4 times the amount of people watching on demand/streaming (which includes some linear services.) Please do tell me why more people aged 16-24 are not watching more on demand etc - seeings as that is what you think the next generation will watch. That is just one part of where your argument fails.

According to those figures, Linear TV is still the most watched medium and on demand/streaming (which includes some linear services) is clearly not as popular as you think with that generation.

The youngsters are most likely either out enjoying their young lives or doing their studies. Goodness knows I used to enjoy my evenings out, I certainly did not stay in and watch coronation street (or study enough any where near enough)!!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote