View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 13:45   #370
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Sorry OB, but the past is the greatest indicator of what will happen in the future. There is nothing new in the world. The proverbial old wheel spins but the same proverbial spokes continue to turn too.

Netflix could easily fund everything through subscription, but look at the price increases in the last couple of years used to fund the new content. Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for an ad free Netflix service over the next 5 years? Bearing in mind you will probably need pay TV to fulfil your viewing needs during that time too.

I think unskippable ads on VOD are inevitable, and that will only strengthen linear TV's appeal.
I couldn't really say how much I would be prepared to pay because it would depend on what was on offer. I wouldn't want to pay a lot more for the services Netflix currently offer, but if we had a better range of programming, such as is available in the US, I would definitely pay a few quid more every month.

Any streaming service that offered me a really huge library of material (including the new as well as the old stuff) would be more valuable to me than the subscription I pay to Sky Movies and Sky Sports, lets put it that way.

At some point in the future, when streaming services have a more comprehensive offer, I shall certainly look again at the TV package I subscribe to and I may ditch some of my existing packages. I am certainly becoming disillusioned with Sky's offering these days, there's virtually nothing on their non premium channels worth watching. The Channel 4 bouquet of channels puts them to shame.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote