View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 20:35   #361
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It seems to me that you're the one limiting things (and in a kind of patronising way). I've pointed out that it is perfectly feasible to do it. In my view, at this point in time, Netflix don't have adds because they don't want them. If they ever wanted to, they would work with the corporations to make it work successfully for both parties.

And that is the crux of our difference of opinion on this 'advertising' aspect of Netflix at this point in time: You believe they want to run adds, but advertisers aren't interested in them. I believe that, at this point in time, Netflix have no intention of running adds because they don't want to.
Please don't tell me what I believe - especially as I have repeatedly said something different and it's all here in black and white for everyone to see.

I never said advertsers aren't interested and I never said Netflix want to do it right now.

I said, the financial benefit from advertising, and the pool of advertisers willing to pay for space on a platform with such limited reach, is such that Netflix may believe there is more to be gained from making a virtue out of not carrying adverts.

There is no doubt that saying they are ad-free has commercial value - the statements made by some big VOD fans in this thread prove that. At this point in time, I argue, that value is greater than the limited extra revenue available from advertising. Therefore Netflix *don't* want to run adverts right now. They calculate that they are better off not doing it. And in business, that calculation is ultimately all that matters.

In time, that calculation will change. And it will change a *long* time before anyone in a position of influence even suggests ending linear TV broadcasts in the UK.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote