View Single Post
Old 21-06-2016, 08:34   #54
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Jo Cox MP has been murdered in West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The fact this woman was an MP and seems, at the moment, to have been killed because she was an MP and because of her politics is what has elevated this to a national issue.

Lee Rigby was murdered in a terrorist attack on British soil by a civilian. He wasn't killed in action, by an opposing army, abroad. That's why his death became a story.
I know why the murder is a story and a national issue and the media's done an exceptional job of keeping it in the news. My argument is that parliament's response is now OTT and being used by some as a means by which to influence the EU debate. If MP's want to continue to grieve and mourn in their own time that's fine by me. If they want to erect a statue that's fine by me but there's important work to be done and they ought to be getting on with it and serving those who've elected them at this time more than just about any other I can think of. Does anyone really think Jo Cox would want this hiatus? I don't.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I find it ironic that so many on the internet and in the media are drawing a straight line between brexit rhetoric and this horrible murder when this kind of thing is going on and they seem all right with it
Well yes it is rather hypocritical isn't it. I recall plenty of glee and laughter when Farage and his family were confronted by a mob during a Sunday lunch at the local pub. Who would have known the true intentions of that group until after the event? It certainly would have been traumatic for his family even if Farage is tough enough to take it in his stride.

It seems quite a lot of people don't mind inciting or employing a bit of hate and violence when the targets of it happen to disagree with them.

Last edited by Osem; 21-06-2016 at 08:20.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote