Thread: 200M Poor WiFi coverage
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 17:54   #5
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
Re: Poor WiFi coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesb View Post
My Virgin "package" includes VIVID200; I think I have a Superhub2, which is at the very front left corner of the house. WiFi coverage in the house is poor, in the rear extension there is no signal at all from the router.

I have 2 x Solwise powerline adapters to connect wired devices (including TIVO, NAS, Samsung TV) in the rear extension & recently added an Aztech HL113 plug to provide WiFi in the extension (for phones, iPads, laptops, SONOS, wireless printer). The Aztech is very unreliable - cuts out occasionally, refuses connections, appears to lose connections to Apple iPad devices and laptops - and has to be switched off + on at least once per day.

The Solwise plugs are > 7 years old now & I would like to replace those 2 and probably the Aztech as well with faster, more reliable units.

I have just tried a Netgear WiFi extender (EX2700) midway between the router and the rear extension. It just about worked for slow WiFi browsing but was not an improvement on the Aztech and is on its way back to Amazon.

Can anyone with some experience/knowledge of powerline recommend which devices might suit this setup and / or suggest alternative approaches ???????

Thanks in advance.
Hi. I have exactly the same problem as you, with my Shub 2 in a far corner of the house. Over the years I've tried various methods of extending the wi-fi, all with limited success. What I want, is to make use of both the 2.4 and 5.0 networks but without having the bother of having to manually switch between them. I finally found the answer! I splashed out and bought an ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 router and put the Shub into modem mode. I then gave both networks the same SSID and password and it works very well indeed.
The only downside is that the wi-fi coverage, although much better, still didn't extend to the furthest corner of the house. So, I spent even more of my hard earned dosh on an ASUS RP-AC52 Dual-Band Wireless-AC750 Wall-Plug Range Extender/Access Point. Together these devices have solved my wi-fi woes. They work really well, however many devices are in use at any one time.
In summary, the bad news is that I'm the best part of £200 worse off but the good news is I no longer have any wi-fi troubles at all.
Hope that helps.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote