View Single Post
Old 22-02-2017, 11:11   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Do you expect VM to test the SH3 with every device with an ethernet connection?
no but when they impose a specific type of cpe on millions of customers then I do expect them to do extensive tests on many different types and brands of equipment. This isn't the first time I have heard of powerline adapters taking down either the router or the wan connection on a shub. If it is as straight forward as you say it is then why is it happening.

You might not remember but after the multitude of problems and fiasco that was the shub 1 (the shub crashing under load comes to mind) VM obviously realised that they couldn't/didn't want to pay for proper testing prior to release of the shub 2 and instead opted for extensive customer trials. I signed up for it and I remember them being specific and asking what the makeup of your network was, how it was designed, what type of devices you had and brands. I was actually quite impressed because it showed they were trying to be as thorough as possible and realised that they hadn't done the job properly first time round.

Powerline adapters are going to be more common place as time goes on and saying "we guarantee it will works with X brand or model" isn't good enough. Customers need to have choice and able to go out and buy what meets their needs and VM need to look in to what is causing it and get it fixed.

As far as the op goes, and I really should have mentioned this first, shub's are sub-par routers and if you want to forgo annoying and stupid things like this (because rtho782 is right, it should work) then invest in a proper router which you know is going to work. When you buy a proper router like Asus or Linksys, the manufacturers know where their money comes from and make sure their routers do the job.

Last edited by General Maximus; 22-02-2017 at 11:14.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote