View Single Post
Old 21-02-2017, 14:38   #2
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads
Re: Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnMachine View Post
I think I've got to the bottom of a long-running intermittent problem with my Superhub 3, so am sharing here in case it's useful to anyone else.

...snip....

So my working theory is that there is something hardware related in the Superhub 3 which will bring down the whole hub when it's connected directly to a Powerline adaptor.

What is still unexplained is that it will sometimes work for six weeks at a time, but if you have to re-start the Superhub 3 for any reason the problem will emerge. At it's worst, I had to do a factory reset of the Superhub 3 to get it to work again.

..snip...
Considering that VM actively promote (and sell) Powerline adapters on their website, although the idea that the Hub 3 is somehow incompatible with them is a bit hard to swallow and as long as the hardware is operating within spec then ethernet is ethernet and should all work together.

It's possible that you do have a faulty hub and/or something really odd with your power supply but there is another potential answer.

What is on the other Powerline adapter(s)? All a PL adapter is, is an ethernet bridge, is it possible that somehow you have created a bridging loop somewhere in your setup? You say it works when connected via a switch? What model of switch is it? It may well be that this switch can do loop detection in some way (spanning tree) or that you have something else which is jabbering and the switch is doing flow control?

What I would do (unless you have already tried this) is to disconnect everything from the SH, just plug a PC/laptop in to one of the LAN ports and test, if OK then connect the one-and-only PL to it and test again. Keep gradually adding devices and see what happens.