View Single Post
Old 21-02-2017, 06:39   #1
DamnMachine
cf.member

DamnMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

I think I've got to the bottom of a long-running intermittent problem with my Superhub 3, so am sharing here in case it's useful to anyone else.

In short, if I plug a Netgear Powerline adaptor directly into one of the ports of a Superhub 3, then the Superhub 3 will fail, losing Internet connectivity and the web management interface becoming unresponsive. Unplug the Powerline adaptor and re-start the Superhub 3: all good. Plug in the Powerline adaptor: Superhub 3 stops working.

I have tried replacing Powerline adaptors, individual Ethernet cables, and swapping Superhub 3 devices and this problem has persisted. The workaround I have found is to connect the Powerline adaptor to an extension Ethernet switch, which is then connected to the Superhub 3. That seems to work fine.

So my working theory is that there is something hardware related in the Superhub 3 which will bring down the whole hub when it's connected directly to a Powerline adaptor.

What is still unexplained is that it will sometimes work for six weeks at a time, but if you have to re-start the Superhub 3 for any reason the problem will emerge. At it's worst, I had to do a factory reset of the Superhub 3 to get it to work again.

But I've changed almost everything in this set up, and the only consistent thing that causes this to happen is the Superhub 3/Powerline adaptor combination.
DamnMachine is offline   Reply With Quote