View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 22:12   #1106
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I use a variety of devices but for simplicity I'll just explain my living room setup.
For Netflix and Amazon Prime I use a Fire TV Stick (cheapest way to get both in 1080P with DD+ sound), for most of my media consumption I use a Windows 10 based HTPC which acts as a PVR, server, download machine, Kodi device and BT Sports app player, for Now TV I use one of the newer smart boxes (this I lucked on an offer and thought it worth a try and it is head and shoulders above any other device I've tried for Sky Sports on the platform).
I then have an Apple TV 4 as a backup for when the Kodi addons aren't working for the American channels (a reasonably common occurrence for most Kodi addons).
The ATV 4 gives the same results for NBC as the expensive Windows PC, whilst perfectly watchable its picture is not as good as the other services I mentioned in my previous post.

With regard to your comment about using an Android box for Kodi and researching ratings I hope you can forgive an old timer giving a little advice.
I've been using Kodi since I first soldered an xecuter chip into my original xbox and ftp'd an amazing program then called then XBMP into it.
In the near decade and a half since then I've always hailed it as the best example of how good a piece of software can be when its created as a labour of love rather than having any commercial interests.

Unfortunately over the last 4 or 5 years many nefarious interests have tried to make money out of it.
Whilst I'm out of touch with Android developments I'd say in its purest form Kodi is still best experienced on X86/64 hardware, and while I'd trust to install any addon from the official repository the 3rd party addon world has become the wild west, I personally wouldn't install any 3rd party addon I hadn't looked through its code, I'm not a coder but python is pretty easy to read through and understand what its doing and if the code has been encrypted so you can't read it never install that addon!

While I'm on my high horse I'd also say to anyone reading this thread never ever buy a "fully loaded" Kodi box, what you are buying has been opened by someone who has installed software not installed at the factory, you might be lucky and they've just used a commonly available wizard to do it to make a fast buck or you might be unlucky and malware has compromised your whole network!
Its a piece of P*** to install Kodi onto any compatible device without resorting to the "fully loaded" scamfest
BIB i second this completely the fully loaded boxes tend to be full of crap and most are fakes, i got my Android box from gearbest all it had was Android 5 on it nothing else and i knew it was genuine, i have in past fallen victim of fully loaded boxes when i bought a m8 of ebay was a pile of junk and fake i was lucky as got a full refund from seller, but now i have a genuine t95 box, kodi is very easy to install you get it from the google play store.
I remember kodi too in it's xbmc days on xbox a great media software, still is today under the kodi name.
I never use these wizards or builds i create my own build for my use only.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote