View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 13:55   #183
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Government to monitor Internet Use

David Cameron wants fresh push on communications data

Quote:
David Cameron wants a fresh push after the next election to "modernise" laws to allow monitoring of people's online activity, after admitting there was little chance of progress before then.

The prime minister told a parliamentary committee that gathering communications data was "politically contentious" but vital to keep citizens safe.

He said TV crime dramas illustrated the value of monitoring mobile data.

A communications data bill was dropped last year after Lib Dem objections.

The idea of the bill was to allow government access to details of who called whom, when and where - although ministers said it would not cover the content of calls.

It would also have extended laws to cover new online forms of communication, such as internet-based phone services like Skype, and there were suggestions it could also give intelligence services real-time access to the data.

'Raised questions'
Critics called it a "snooper's charter", as they had when the previous Labour government floated a similar plan. Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, who had initially backed the idea of a bill, said the finalised proposals "went too far".

(snip)

[Cameron said] "In the most serious crimes [such as] child abduction communications data... is absolutely vital. I love watching, as I probably should stop telling people, crime dramas on the television. There's hardly a crime drama where a crime is solved without using the data of a mobile communications device."

(snip)

Well, there's a justification I wasn't expecting to be used to renew interest in the Snooper's Charter: Fictional TV detectives regularly solve crime using communications data therefore real detectives need it.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote