View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 22:50   #116
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Lets say we drop to 3 ads per show. Would you agree that becomes 3 companies who are able to advertise per show? I would hope you do, it seems very logical to me.

What do you think will be the outcome if this ever happened? Big companies will spend massive amounts of money to get the rights to show the ads ahead of the most popular shows on TV - Eastenders, Corrie, GBBO, X factor, Broadchurch etc. With these shows now on-demand, there will be no limit to how many shows they can put their ads on, because we will only watch one show at a time. Please don't tell we will start regulating who can advertise and on what shows, that will never work.

Ironically, I reckon companies will spend much more money on adverts because they will still want to advertise on the best shows. Imagine how much money Tesco or Asda will need to spend to get their "we are cheaper than Tesco/Asda" adverts out. It will be an all out bidding war between huge companies with massive pockets for the top shows, and the cost will then filter down to the cost of the products.

Whilst we are on the topic of adverts, what happens to the current sponsors of the shows now? Do they still get to sponsor the show? If they do, does their mini sponsor ad count as one of the three ads you think will be acceptable, if so, we now only have two other spaces for companies per show, and I refer you back to my point about bidding wars for the limited advertising space. If it does not count as one of the three, are there now 4 ads per show and is that acceptable?

Lets also say you right and the BBC loses the license fee too and millions of families can still only afford a limited budget the same as the old license fee.

Lets say an average family watches Pointless (or any other daily weekday show) and it becomes pay per view and I have to watch adverts before it starts. Firstly, I am already hacked off cos I have to watch adverts. Secondly, how much does one episode cost? 99p? Lets say it is shown 22 times a month (30 days minus 8 days for the weekends.) that will cost a hard up family £21.78 - just for one show. Even if it only costs 49p, it is still £10.78. That is almost the cost of the monthly licence now, and they still can't afford Netflix either. Do you really think the tv companies will want to limit the amount of shows people can watch to one show per day? Surely that will not help them sell advertising space on the lesser watched shows.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote