View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32   #110
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
1. Too much choice is the enemy. Hence why the top 5 EPG slots are reserved by law, rather than sold to the highest bidder, which would always be Sky, because;
2. Sky has understood from the outset that as you can't get audiences of more than about 2 million for anything other than live football, and therefore has to charge a subscription *and* run 15 minutes of adverts per hour in order to cover the cost of its premier US imports and still turn a profit.

Oh, and

3. It is unlikely that the UK's broadband infrastructure will have sufficient bandwidth, and reach, to replace broadcast as the official public service delivery platform, any time in the next 15 years. So no, for a great many people, it wouldn't even be viewabke when you want it.
BT are already rolling out superfast broadband across the country on behalf of the Government. Do you really think that will take 15 years? Take a decade off that and you'll be closer to the mark.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Will reply properly when I am sober!! However, if you hate adverts so much, how can you advocate the use of adverts on BBC? Also why would commercially fundeed channels want to help fund the BBC to launch a streaming channel.

You are contradictiong yourself regarding Netflix and Amazon now too,

Far too many faults in your recent argument....in fact I may even ignore your latest comments tomorrow. We will see in the the morning though.
I think you may be misinterpreting my meanings!

On adverts, I am really annoyed at the constant interruptions to programmes. On Sky, an hour long programme can be reduced to 45 minutes easily if you fast forward through them. Up to 3 ads just before your selection I can tolerate, but I would fast forward through them as well if the facility was there!

I have not contradicted myself on Amazon and Netflix. I think XL type subscribers would probably tend to get both, but poorer subscribers would choose between them, or just go for what is currently the terrestrial choice. Incidentally, I think there will be a bigger choice of video streaming providers in the future.

Why do you think that the commercial TV companies would not collaborate with the BBC on an agreed platform to reduce costs? That principle has already been established.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote