View Single Post
Old 22-09-2011, 12:34   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
BoxNation on Virgin Media?

Frank Warren will announce today that his stable of fighters are moving from their long-time Sky Sports home to a channel which quietly popped up on SKY in July – BoxNation.

What is both interesting and unexpected is that the channel will not be a vehicle for PPV fights but will instead be run on a subscription model, pitched around the £10 a month mark.

Warren has apparently said that he will honour the rest of his contract with Sky – a handful of dates running into next summer. Again, that’s hard to square with the birth of BoxNation but given the size of the promoter’s stable, perhaps not impossible to fulfill.

So, what should potential subscribers expect for their money? There is some attractive fare claimed to be on offer. Obviously Warren’s future bills will be on it (other than any used to fulfill his Sky obligations); there’s a supposed three-year deal with Sauerland; Hopkins v Dawson is in the offing plus the potential for some other US fights.

Steve Bunce’s Boxing Hour is set to make a return and there are rumors of a talking heads programme, similar to Sky Sports’ Sunday Supplement offering.
Apparently, there is a commitment to showing action twice a week, without running against other networks’ boxing output.

Less exciting for the boxing purist – but probably good news for the increasing amount of cross-over fans - is that MMA will get an airing.
Fight fans might hope that forum stirrings concerning Sky’s supposed lack of interest in boxing are pessimistic. A Sky source put a positive spin on these developments, saying Warren’s move “will obviously free up money and options for other things”.

The above information was made available today on Boxrec. As some will have noticed from my previous posts boxing is my favorite sport and makes up a large part of my weekly viewing. Essentially BoxNation appears to be a dedicated boxing channel that all fans of the sport simply can't miss. Are there any plans for this channel to be made available to Virgin customers? If not then sadly I will have to join SKY. I've held tight awaiting Premier Sports for over 12 months now and I'm already expecting the same for this new channel.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

EDIT

I've just heard that Talksport have been covering this this morning and apparently Tony Bellew Vs. Nathan Cleverly will be on Box Nation and it will be on Virgin free of charge! Frank Warren is going to be a guest on Talksport tomorrow.

Maybe Box Nation is the channel that has been testing recently?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote